A blog about knitting, and some other stuff....

Monday, May 21, 2007

I’ve started on Honeymoon, and thus far everything has gone smoothly….



I’m knitting it size 5 needles and I’m getting not getting gage. When I attempted to knit to gage it didn’t look good at all, much too loose. So I’m getting 22 sts per 4 in rather than 20 sts, and knitting it in a size smaller. According to my math, this should work out just fine, but you can never be too sure when it comes to me doing math.



I decided that I don’t like the lace border all that much. I’m just not a lacey kind of person. I’m more of a no frills plain and simple kind of person, so I’m sticking to stockenette the whole time.

I also attempted a tubular cast on. I did not go over so well. I grasped the concept just fine, I made a trial attempt before I tried the real thing, and it also went just fine. But when you’re casting on almost 200 stitches it’s really easy to get confused somewhere along the line. And that’s exactly what I did (at least) four different times. But, eventually, it worked!



I don’t think I will ever try this cast on for something that involves this many stitches again. Perhaps a sweater that is not in the round, but there’s just too much room for error on something this big. And it takes way too long to do it all over again.

As previously mentioned, I’m using the Knit Picks CotLin. I have the feeling it’s going to pill, as I’m getting a lot of fuzzies while knitting. It also didn’t hold up well to the immense amount of frogging that was involved with my cast on. But it’s soft on the fingers and is easy to work with. We’ll see how it holds up with wash and wear!

2 Comments:

Blogger beckie said...

Eek. I think I would have gotten messed up somewhere also with that type of cast-on! Best of luck-I can't wait to see the finished product!

5/21/2007 01:50:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seems as if the pattern called for a 20 = 4" gauge, but you are knitting it to 22. That means the garment will be smaller than the pattern. A 2 st gauge difference can be a big deal, depending on the type of pattern. Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck!

5/21/2007 02:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home