A blog about knitting, and some other stuff....

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Opinions welcome

So I need a new bag for school. I’ve known that for a while, but as of today I’ve reached a new level of needing a new bag, and very soon it won’t be so much a bag anymore as a cylinder I can carry around on my shoulders.

So I’ve been thinking. Yes, thinking. And I think that I want an awesome bag. It needs to have a pocket for everything, so nothing gets squished and nothing gets lost and I always know where everything is and there’s plenty of room for everything. But where can I find this bag? A bag that will have a place for my keys, my camera, my wallet, my phone, my ipod, my gum, my pens, my notebook and any various books or food I want to carry around with me. Oh, and it also need to have a miscellaneous spot for everything else (I’m a commuter student - when I get onto campus I stay there all day, so everything must come with me).
I don’t think that this bag exists. Remember, it must also be awesome.
So I’m going to spend my spring break making a new bag (don’t worry, I won’t start until I finish my sweater).
Check out this Monk's Travel Satchel (note – this is a pdf file). I love this bag! But there’s a few problems. Or one problem, and that being that it’s knitted. Usually this wouldn’t be a problem for anything, but after putting a lot of thought into it I don’t think this would be the best idea. I put my bags through a lot of hard times. This thing will pretty much be an extension of my being until it dies, and I don’t see something in a wool/cotton blend holding up after being thrown around, kicked around, and stepped on. I’m also worried that it’s going to stretch out - textbooks are really heavy (really heavy).
So I think I might take this idea and use it to sew a bag. Now I have sewn bags before (maaaybe I’ll show you a picture sometime if you’re really good), so I know I can do it, but do I want to? I don’t have a lot of patience for sewing. For some reason I want instant gratification with my sewing projects. I’m not like that with knitting, but if I’m sewing (at a sewing machine, I’m alright if I’m doing it by hand) I want it done right now, and I will sit there until it is finished. So if I’m planning on sewing this, I have to be willing to devote at least an entire day to sitting in front of the machine, going slowly insane. But the result will probably be more practical and durable.
But the knitted bag is just so awesome….

1 Comments:

Blogger beckie said...

No bag pic! How sad! I love collecting bags..I wish I had one that had pockets for everything..

3/20/2007 04:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home