A blog about knitting, and some other stuff....

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

…. It’s a sweater!


That’s right, a fully completed sweater appears, seemingly out of thin air – how does she do it?

Usually a knitting blog is used to document your knitting; that is, your knitting adventures and misadventures, not just completed works. But I didn’t really want to share this project with you until it was completed because I was making it up as I went along – that’s right, no pattern. And the last time I tried to wing it I made this ugly thing, that although was definitely a sweater, was definitely really, really ugly. I didn’t want to share with you my progress and then have the end result be something so hideous I didn’t want to share it – that would just be mean.

But actually, it turned out just as I expected it!


Why didn’t I use a pattern? I couldn’t find one I liked, quite honestly. I like plain things- I don’t really like the look of cables, I didn’t want colorwork, by no means did I want something lacey, I wasn’t interested in ribbing, or stripes or fluff or frill. I also wanted it to fit, nothing baggy or box-like. I just wanted your normal, everyday sweater. Patterns for them are really hard to find. Actually, stuff like that is really hard to find in clothing stores too (i.e. non-stretch jeans).


I love this yarn! Moda Dea Washable Wool. I highly recommend it. I have nothing bad to say about it. It knits nice, it washes nice, I have no idea what it does in the dryer since I haven’t put it in the dryer, but I’m sure it’s nice in there too!

After washing I followed my mom around the house trying to find a flat place to lie the sweater down to dry. Because my mother is brilliant, she came up with this idea – it’s two (clean) window screens on the sides of the bathtub! So ingenious! Since air could get to it from all sides, it only took a few hours to dry!



It still needs a zipper, and when I get to that I’ll be sure to keep you posted. I’m thinking that I want a big, fat, metal zipper – we’ll see if I can actually find one.

Oh yes, and Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s a rather snowed in day here, or more like iced in day as there was heavy sleet all night. Did not make for a good time shoveling. Classes were cancelled until 10:00, but I still couldn’t get out of my driveway by then (our road hadn't been plowed yet), so I had a very good excuse for skipping chemistry….

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger beckie said...

That looks great!

2/15/2007 08:40:00 AM

 
Blogger amanda said...

Looks great, like a really wearable knit.

2/16/2007 08:29:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home