A blog about knitting, and some other stuff....

Monday, November 24, 2008

Doily

So it's been a bad week.  Two tests and two papers, an interview and inventing a portfolio to go with said interview (yes, I graduated, yes I'm still taking classes, you just can't keep me away).  Said portfolio should show things like internship experience,  classwork, and hand skills.  The hand skills area was lacking so I decided to knit something impressive (at the very last minuet of course).  I went for Spiralen.  

I freaking hate lace. I never thought I hated lace, but I do.  Everything seems relatively simple: I read the instructions, I understand the instructions, I follow the instructions, and I end up with the wrong amount of stitches at the end of the row.  Also starting knitting in the round with only 8 stitches on size 3 needles was one of the hardest knitting things I've ever done.  Shouldn't have been, but it was.  But the good news is since I had to start over so many times (about 12) I'm now really good at knitting in the round with only 8 stitches on size 3 needles....


At first I came up with this, which only vaguely looks like the pictures in the pattern.  I was confused.  Then I realized that the "plain knit every other row" direction only lasted until row 12, yet I of course had continued it all the way through because I am so good at following directions.  

Everyone told me this was lovely.  It was fantastic and great for my portfolio.  I of course thought it was crap because that is not what it's supposed to look like.  So with little time left before I actually really needed a finished portfolio and when I actually should have been doing schoolwork, I made a new one, the correct way (and it goes a lot faster when you're not adding extra rows....)


2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Very beautiful!!! I totally agree about the lace. It is no friend of mine!! Even the "simple" patterns. Congrats on finishing and getting it right :)

11/29/2008 09:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Janey said...

Yeah! I'm not a heretic for disliking lace.
And more than one person too - the blogger and her commenter.

There's no way to relax and knit when one is knitting lace - because a row cannot be ripped back. (Serves me right, eh? I should make using a lifeline a useful part of my existence.)

I just do not like having to be attentive to each and every stitch.

Thank you,
Janey

3/27/2009 06:28:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home