A blog about knitting, and some other stuff....

Tuesday, September 05, 2006


So, I admit, I do more than knit. I also crochet. Now, I don’t do a lot of crocheting – in fact I didn’t even know how until about a month ago. And there is one sole reason for it: granny squares. I love them. I just think they look so neat. I like how both sides are right sides. Okay, so technically there is a "wrong" side, by in my opinion it doesn't look that drastically different from the "right" side; I need to actually search to identify one side from the next, and even then I don't know which one is supposed to be "right."
I admit, some granny squares really are.... granny like. They remind me of old and tacky. But I'm rather drawn to those with bright, bold colors. And the possibilities are endless. Forget the typical afghan - I made a scarf!

I'm trying to get rid of all my scrap yarn, and this is a wonderful way to go about it. This scarf is made with Carons ultra soft acrylic yarn. Yes, I admit, acrylic yarn. There was a time not all that long ago that I very little idea what I was doing, and didn't want to spend the money on wool. So now I have a basket very full of acrylic yarn that I'm trying to find uses for. So I've been making copious amounts of granny squares. Nothing fancy, and the color combinations aren't quite how I'd like them (I'm trying to get rid of yarn here), but I'm having a good time.

A few weekends ago I accompanied my boy on a business trip to the New England/New York area (yes, I realize this is not just one big area, we were in two distinct different places) and there was a lot of driving involved. So, of course, lots of granny squares were produced on the way.


I believe they will become another scarf, as I'm not entirely happy with the first one. I don't think I made the squares tight enough, and I'm not very pleased with the color combination. I'm sure I can find a good home for the purple one, though. My mom has been eyeing it at least.

Well, I'm off to class in the rain, stay dry everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home